Domain name Holder´s FAQ
- General information
- What is the RESTENA Foundation?
- What is DNS-LU?
- What is a domain name?
- Do I need to be resident in Luxembourg to register a domain name?
- What rules apply to .lu domain names?
- Are there any restrictions when choosing the name?
- Are there any names that are never allocated?
- What is a registrar ?
- What are the advantages of registering through a registrar?
- What is the minimum information required for registering a domain name?
- How many domain names can be registered? Is there any discount?
How much does a domain name cost?
For domain names registered directly with DNS-LU, the fees only cover DNS-LU’s costs for management of the domain names. The cost of a .lu domain name consists of an annual subscription to cover the maintenance costs and includes the registration costs. However, it is possible that a service provider will charge extra, particularly for email addresses, web page hosting and so on. The fee invoiced by DNS-LU does not include any of these services.
For classic registration with DNS-LU (paper documents to be filled in by hand), the fee is €40 including taxes per year per name. The cost for online registration (DNS-LU platform my.lu) is €25 including taxes per year per name. For a two-year registration, the price is double: €50 including taxes.
For registration of a name through a registrar other than DNS-LU, the price is set independently by the registrar and the invoice is sent by this registrar to the address held on its files.
For using a domain name online (installation of name servers and web servers, etc.), additional costs may be incurred with the internet service provider and/or the registrar. These services are not provided by DNS-LU.
If a customer is a member of the research, culture or education community, it may, under certain circumstances, receive a preferential rate. This price is for corporate clients only who already have access to the RESTENA Foundation’s services. For further information, please contact the RESTENA Foundation.
- How long does a domain name last (length of subscription period)?
- Can I “reserve” a domain name?
- What do I need to do to be able to use a domain name?
- What is a name server?
- What is an active domain name?
- What is an inactive domain name?
- What details are published and why?
- Registering a domain name
- The migration of domain names registered with DNS-LU to the online platform my.lu
- IDN domain names
- Invoicing and payment
- Domain name management and data maintenance
- Change your registrar
- Change of registrant (holder)
- Problems and solutions
- Domain names' disputes
- Other questions and comments
- Domain online management
- List of registrars
- Classic Registration
- IDN domain names
- Domain name policy
- Check Nameserver
- Change registrar
Restriction regarding the registration of certain domain names which have been temporarily blocked will be abolished
New provisions relating to the possibility to request a dispute entry for .lu domain names