Domain name Holder´s FAQ
- General information
- What is the RESTENA Foundation?
- What is DNS-LU?
- What is a domain name?
- Do I need to be resident in Luxembourg to register a domain name?
- What rules apply to .lu domain names?
Are there any restrictions when choosing the name?
A domain name can be up to 63 characters long and must have at least 3 characters. A domain name may only start with a letter or a number. Until January 1st 2011, village names may only be registered for the competent local authority. The only special character allowed by the DNS system is the hyphen (-) (apart from IDNs, see below), but this may not be at the beginning or the end of the domain name. Domain names containing other special characters cannot be registered unless they are contained on the list of special caracters accepted under .lu. We recommend that you only use lower case letters as the DNS system does not differentiate between lower case and upper case.
It is possible to register domain names containing accented characters, known as Internationalised Domain Names (IDNs), since February 1st 2010.
See section * Internationalized Domains Names (IDN)
- Are there any names that are never allocated?
- What is a registrar ?
- What are the advantages of registering through a registrar?
- What is the minimum information required for registering a domain name?
- How many domain names can be registered? Is there any discount?
- How much does a domain name cost?
- How long does a domain name last (length of subscription period)?
- Can I “reserve” a domain name?
- What do I need to do to be able to use a domain name?
- What is a name server?
- What is an active domain name?
- What is an inactive domain name?
- What details are published and why?
- Registering a domain name
- The migration of domain names registered with DNS-LU to the online platform my.lu
- IDN domain names
- Invoicing and payment
- Domain name management and data maintenance
- Change your registrar
- Change of registrant (holder)
- Problems and solutions
- Domain names' disputes
- Other questions and comments
- Domain online management
- List of registrars
- Classic Registration
- IDN domain names
- Domain name policy
- Check Nameserver
- Change registrar
Restriction regarding the registration of certain domain names which have been temporarily blocked will be abolished
New provisions relating to the possibility to request a dispute entry for .lu domain names